The Gas Safe Register

About the Gas Safe Register

Anyone carrying out gas work must be listed on the Gas Safe Register* and carry a Gas Safe Register ID card. If not, they are breaking the law and putting you and your family at risk.

What do I need to check on the Gas Safe ID card?

The card is there for your protection. Make sure that you check the front and the back of the card.

Check the front of the card for:

  • The photo
  • The start date and expiry date
  • The licence number
  • The security hologram

Check the back of the card to make sure:

  • The engineer is qualified to do the gas work
    you want done e.g. cooker, boiler, gas fire
  • Their qualifications are up-to-date

Check your engineer is Gas Safe registered by calling the Gas Safe Register on 0800 408 5500 or using their ‘check an engineer service’ online by visiting their website

If you suspect a gas fitter is working illegally you can call Gas Safe Register on 0800 408 5500.

*Gas Safe Register replaced Corgi as the official registered list of gas engineers in the UK in 2009